Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Interacting With Belly

Third trimester is finally getting the better of me. I'm soooo tired. I feel like sleeping and slouching the entire day. Walking is still okay but when I'm standing and talking to someone, I start feeling as if I'm carrying a heavy backpack and I prefer to sit down. When I fold laundry I tell myself, "oh, just a couple of shirts more and then I can sit down". Today is the worst. I actually feel dizzy from being so exhausted!

The depression/stress thing has got better. I don't know what made the difference, but now I mostly just feel really exhausted and not so horribly stressed out. I feel like I could feel really content if I could just sleep all day. That's really an improvement.

I'm definitely not gonna be the all-tolerant goo-cleaning mommy. I was browsing the web for pregnancy articles and reading a forum thread about belly shape. I like the shape of my round belly (nice firm skin and an oddly flat belly button) so I like reading when some pregnant women say they just look fat. As I was scrolling down I suddenly saw a picture of this toddler eating. He was covered in mashed food - his face was glistening with goo and slobber, his arm was shiny up to his elbow and covered with small pieces on mashed food. EWWWWWWWWWWW!!! It was so horribly gross! Why would anyone post such an image?! That kid needs a bath NOW. I was so grossed out I stopped reading the forum.

I tried to read articles about interacting with my unborn child. They did mention a little bit about playing games with the belly but most of it was stupid stuff like talking with my belly and reading books to my belly and singing to my belly. And having my husband talk to the belly and read to the belly ... No way! That's just weird. Well, OKAY I admit, sometimes when I get bored home alone and the baby is being boring, I tap my belly and say, "hey, wake up." or when the baby starts kicking my intestines, I say, "HEEEEY! Whatcha doing in there?!". Usually this makes her stop.

I definitely don't plan on reading books to the baby or having long monologues about how my day went. She hears my heartbeat all the time and she gets part of all the hormones in my body. And she hears my voice whenever I talk to anyone else. She KNOWS how my day went! I do something different - when the baby is doing really funny things in there, I laugh and cheerfully tell Erkki. Then Erkki replies in a happy tone. Baby hears me and my husband being happy. That's gotta be better than bluffing to my baby that I had a great day. Oh, and I DO sing - but I'm not sure Guitar Hero World Tour singing counts as "singing lullabies to my belly".

No comments:

Post a Comment