Saturday, March 7, 2009

Trance and Baby Carriage

I'm in a weird trance-like state of mind right now. I've been home alone for 7 hours now. Such a long time... I spent most of this time cross-stitching. Actually I've been basketweave tenting but that's only a difference in stitch style as I still use an exact pattern and carefully selected threads. And I was watching TV. I hadn't really done that in such a long time if I don't take into account movies and anime from the computer.

Aaa...ny....way..... I was watching National Geographic channel and I saw a documentary about time travel. It was a nice reminder of all the old theories of wormholes and such. One scientist commented that there can't be any time travel because he has "never met anyone from the future." I had been thinking the same during the entire show - if time travel was possible, wouldn't there be some signs of future people among us? And then I realized - maybe there are! THE ALIENS!

If future people start traveling back in time what will they do here? They will study people - kidnap and catalogue with implants just like humans catalogue pets. They won't bother with huge historical changes because too much can go wrong. But if people really start visiting from different times in the future, wouldn't we also see different kinds of people? Wouldn't we see them evolve over millenniums? Well, did you know that there is species classification on alien sightings? There's tall and gray and there is short stocky and greenish. So are those just people from different times in the future? It would make sense for people to change so much physically. If people really do manage to make earth soil impossible for life then homo sapiens will have to evolve into something that can survive under water so it would be ideal to have large eyes to see in the ocean depth and to have fins between fingers...

PS! I don't believe that aliens exist. But I do think they create a fun alternative view of the world. They're like the theory that some dinosaurs survived until medieval times and "dragons" were actually real! Knights could actually slay a dragon for the princess's hand in marriage. Wouldn't it be nice if that was true...

Back to reality. Me and Erkki bought a baby carriage today. Yay. We now have a baby bed and a baby carriage. At the beginning of next week I'll buy a diaper changing table that can be placed on the baby bed. Then I can scratch one more thing off the baby list. There's still a few more things that cost 1000-2000 EEK (roughly $100-200). There's walkie-talkies with baby monitor function, baby carrier, and a nice baby mat. I'm afraid I'm too picky to buy just any product. I could get one of the cheaper and used baby carriers but the one I want is so good that it almost never ends up in the used-item sale ads. It can be used until the baby is 3 years old and it's so highly valued by mothers that no one wants to sell theirs. And all baby mats are just plain UGLY!

Actually now I've seen so many baby things that I wonder who really designs them. If it's color-blind idiots then I understand completely why they look so awful! There's a clear line - tiny baby stuff is cute, fluffy, soft, practical and nice. Anything that could be used by a child more than 1 month old suddenly is made of cheap neon plastic or synthetic cloth that makes my eyes want to scream in horror! No way that I would buy heaps of ugly crazy colorful stuff for my kid. And baby mats are the worst! Baby mat is big and visible so I can't really hide it in some box when I have visitors. And all baby mats look ugly beyond belief!

Don't bother rolling your eyes thinking, "but baby stuff has to be colorful to attract the kid's attention". I really love bright clear colors so I wouldn't mind colorful toys in general. But usual kid stuff is so ugly that I fear it might endanger the kid's sense of esthetics for a lifetime!

I finally went to pregnancy exercise class on Friday. Well actually it was more like pregnancy yoga. We didn't do much physical stuff and the things we did do gave me a backache. I'm going back next week though. There was a some good talking there and I got some great childbirth tips I hadn't heard from elsewhere. I just have to find an exercising class as well.

I feel more and more that the baby is trying to make contact. She has become quite good at the game where she replies to my tummy-tapping with kicks or punches in the same place. Also, when something is resting on my belly she goes and hits it several times. Initially I thought she was just uncomfortable from the pressure but now I think she sometimes just seeks out anything clear from the outside world and responds to it by headbutting the object. The most clear contact-making habit has to do with cats - when you scratch a cat behind her ears she will press herself against the scratching hand. When I massage the baby's back through my belly she actually presses herself harder against my skin and won't move until I stop rubbing it. Waaaaaay cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment