Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Explosion

The title is pretty damn literal. Two days ago we had an explosion in our apartment. Siiri was home with the babysitter when the living room light bulb outright exploded upon lighting. I don't mean "light bulb blew out", I mean exploded, as in, there were shards of glass all over living room floor, table was covered with glass and white dust and the *BOOM* was very loud. Usually Siiri sits on that living room floor and browses through her books or plays with her toys and when it gets too dark, babysitter goes and turns on the light. This time, however, they were running around, playing hide and seek or whatever and babysitter picked Siiri up and made a small detour and turned on the light. The light switch isn't even near the light itself - there's a huge bookcase inbetween. Neither of them were injured, except later when both of them found a tiny shard of glass that had remained even after clean-up.

Siiri found her shard of glass while climbing on the armchair. She knelt on it for a moment and made a sound of distress. A second later she had a tiny drop of blood on her skin. I don't think she had ever seen her own blood like that. I reacted quickly and told her, "Look, blood. Now we need a band-aid!" and I took a band-aid, made sure the glass is no longer in the wound and covered the wound. Siiri was so unsure how to react that she didn't make a sound. Suddenly she had something like a sticker on her leg and it was so cool! She wriggled free, ran to the mirror and admired her new decoration with a proud look on her face. Perhaps, for next time, I should get some band-aids with cartoon characters on them.

Also, I finished reading the "Assassin's Creed gone bad" trilogy. Khmm, I meant to say, "The Night Angel Trilogy" by Brent Weeks. It started out SOOOOOO well. The first book was among the best books I've ever read and then it went so bad. Suddenly everyone's a stereotype, having stereotypical conversations in stereotypical surroundings for exaggerated blot. Everyone becomes a ruler, except for the main character (and a few others). The women in this book range from cute and cuddly moral girls to hot and sexy objects of desire and the men are all undesirable! One's old and mean and ugly, another one is handsome but whines like a teenage girl during PMS and a third one starts out as truly beautiful and strong and ends up crawling in shit and loosing so much weight that he looks starved thin. In the end I couldn't read more than a few pages without huffing in annoyance. What was most annoying was that the cool main character can't do anything right after the first book and becomes a stupid kid who ruins everything all the time. He is indeed the main character because he drives the plot forward by screwing everything up. And even when it's finally his time to shine, he is so incapable that everyone else does everything for him. OMG, I so need to read something better to get that bad taste out of my mouth.

But not today. Tomorrow I give my first lecture, so I need to get back to work, but I wanted to share that.

No comments:

Post a Comment