Friday, April 10, 2009

Early Wake-Up

Here I am - home alone drinking alcohol-free apple cider from a crystal wine glass. Before pregnancy when I was home alone the whole day I bought the tastiest semi-sweet red wine and drank that. I watched the movies that Erkki would never voluntarily watch and drank the wine so slowly during many hours that I barely felt it's effect. I just enjoyed the taste and the fact that I don't have to share it with anyone. Alcohol-free cider isn't quite the same but it's a good compromise.

I had a very long week - I worked from Friday to Thursday, including through the weekend. I woke up early so many days in a row that I was really glad yesterday evening - I just loved the thought that I can sleep until noon if I want to. And I really wanted to! So I got comfortable and fell asleep. At 7 a.m. I woke up out of the blue. Suddenly I just wasn't sleepy anymore. I had slept like 5 hours only. I would have assumed that I have to go to the bathroom... or at least that the baby has finally started to wake me up with his kicks and nudges but neither was true. The baby was awake but she was in a really chill mood.

Then I thought - maybe I woke up only because the baby was awake! I have been thinking about the possibility that pregnant women are influenced by their belly baby's hormones. It is known that the baby is influenced by the mother's hormones. The mother and the baby share blood circulation - there is a barrier in between but hormones easily pass through it. The baby is affected by the mother's hormones, that I had read on Internet, but I think that the mother is actually also affected by the child's hormones! All the reactions are shared. It only makes sense! She is a complete living organism with her own hormones and (very primitive) thoughts. And if my hormones pass the placenta barrier and she feels the effects, then her hormones also pass the barrier and I feel the effects. We consume each other's mood-affecting "drugs". One woman said her behavior was very different during both her pregnancies - she had the characteristics of the child she was carrying. This means that when I woke up at 7 a.m. it was because the baby was awake. She was thinking active thoughts so I suddenly wasn't sleepy anymore either. Most pregnant women repeatedly wake up at the middle of the night during their third trimester. This could be one of the reasons.

The baby has been very active. Today she learned a new trick - she moonwalks on my ribs! Moonwalks as in the Michael Jackson dance step where he stood still or walked backward while stepping forward. The baby quite likes doing that, especially because it makes me move! I'm just relaxing when suddenly something appears under my ribs. You'd move too! She also likes playing "bicycle" on my belly. Tiny feet running under the skin - really cute!

Yesterday I was at a fun party with cool people. One girl held her hand on my belly to see if the baby will move. She moved a little, but not even close to some of her recent games. So we were talking while the hand was still on the belly and suddenly the baby stretched our her leg and ran it right across that area! Like a worm swimming under the girl's hand. She was so startled she screamed! I totally remember the first time the baby did that to me. I had the same reaction.

I wanna be a gremlin!
I wouldn't think about labour at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment