Thursday, June 4, 2009

Grumpy on Demand

The modern wisdom of breastfeeding says that a child should eat whenever she wants and for as long as she wants. This ensures that she is never hungry and milk production is rapid enough to fit her needs. It might be difficult in the beginning but after about a month or two everything will balance out. The child will end up being eating the recommended six to eight times per day. She will learn to eat bigger amounts at a time and will sleep 4-hour stretches during the night. This means that the mother only wakes up once or twice depending on her need for sleep when the baby is one to two months old.

Theory is nice. The reality can be outright BRUTAL!!!!

My baby will soon be one month old and I wrote down her meal times. She ate 16 times in 24 hours - that's once every 30 minutes to two and a half hours. In general it probably wouldn't bother me so much, but 7 of those feedings were between 5 a.m. to 11 a.m. Oh my precious sleep time... In the morning I was so tired that I briefly considered closing her in the other room so I could sleep. And when I had postponed making coffee for three hours already I placed her in her bed crying and calmly walked into the kitchen to make coffee. No rush. If I can't calm her then the best I can do is to stay calm myself and my morning coffee is a great start.

The way I see it, this is just another problem to be solved. Hardcore breastfeeders would say it's not a problem, it's just natural. She must be hungry so she must be fed. But it is a problem because with so many feedings there is no way that I would be able to burp her every time. It would take two hours every night if I burped her every time. By 7 a.m. she's waking up because her tummy aches and she wants to eat to feel better. Eating also helps babies relieve themselves, so to them it makes sense to eat when they are in distress from eating. So as long as I let her eat every 30-60 minutes it can actually cause her pain and suffering... So it only makes sense to cut down the amount of her night time meals.

But as I mentioned in my last post, I think I know why she's fussing in the mornings. I think my not-enough milk issue turned into too-much milk issue. Actually it's called OALD or OverActive Let Down. Usually this condition is coupled with overabundance of milk. In the beginning of the feeding the rush of milk is so rapid that the baby ends up coughing, letting go and gasping for air, and struggling, trying to bite to reduce flow, swallowing a lot of air and eating too much too fast. The first milk during a feeding is always very watery and high in lactose concentration. If the baby fills up on the first milk (foremilk), then her body has a hard time coping with all that milk sugar and she gets gassy and frustrated but is still hungry because she didn't get any hindmilk, which is high in fat and protein content. Kinda ironic that my baby girl has issues with eating too many carbs... I told you carbs were bad!

Some babies cope with OverActive Let Down by having very frequent meals. This way the rush of milk is manageable for them and they can more easily get to hindmilk. So perhaps it's not by chance that she eats the most frequently early in the morning when milk production is at it's peak. Everything I have read about this condition explains the current situation and me and my baby have almost every single symptom they use to diagnose it. It will fix itself with time. All treatment is to reduce milk production but I wouldn't experiment with that after a mere Google diagnosis.

My planned solution - I will start postponing her night time feedings little by little. I will pretend not to wake up for as long as possible. If she really starts screaming, then I'll go to her but if she wakes up a little hungry then I will wait until she's very hungry so she'll eat more and then sleep for longer. It might mean that she'll start to eat too fast and she'll swallow air but since she always swallows some air and I'm already unable to burp her after night time meals now, it won't make things worse.

On the Internet breastfeeding activist consensus says that such a small baby must never be trained to sleep longer but frankly if I don't fix the situation now, I will end up so tired and frustrated I won't have any positivity to give her. I am convinced that happier mothers make for happier babies (and vice versa) so I see no reason to let her wake me up so often every night. It's for her own good if I sleep more.

4 comments:

  1. At some point it's also a thought to give her water during the night. Boiled ofcourse. I do think she should be a bit older for that one but what it does is that she won't get sugar rush in the middle of the night but will get a drink and finally they start to sleep through those water sessions, eventually waking up once or twice for real food. At least that's what helped with Mirjam. If you want to try that one, Google it first as to what age should she be. I can't recall when I started with that one. But water is harmless anyway so shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes they're just thirsty but with breastfeeding drink = food so you can see if she calms down after a bit of water or is she really hungry.
    For better sleep, bath just before night sleep is also good. Though I think I remember reading Siiri doesn't like water too much. If that has changed, it's good to bathe her before sleep because she will most probably give you at least few hours of straight sleep after that. I bathed Mirjam every night before bedtime just to get those few hours hehe. I sadly lack the ability to fall asleep whenever possible so I couldn't nap an hour at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh THAT's why people give babies water at night. I read about one English hospital that gave water at nighttime to all newborns from day one. When the babies got home they soon started sleeping through the night. However that was a disaster for many breastfeeding mothers who soon had problems with milk supply. Skipping night time feedings so early will do that. But in a few weeks I will try it if she still wakes up very often.

    Bath is supposed to be so relaxing that the baby sleeps better. Bathing Siiri has a very good chance of really giving her a good night's sleep but in a whole other way. :D She stays baffled but calm during the bath. She panics the moment she's out of the tub all wet and dripping. She screams with horror until she's fully clothed. The crying builds up a good appetite, then she eats, and she'll go longer until she's hungry again.

    Yesterday night each time she woke me I kept her awake as long as I possibly could so she'd absolutely stuff herself before she goes back to sleep. I also swaddled her in cloth so she'd sleep longer. And she only woke me 3 times! I'd call this real progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting dressed straight after bath is clearly overrated. At least that's what babies seem to think. With our kids, the order of activities was as follows: bath, (some) eating (while wrapped in the towel), dressing, (some more eating). Getting a bath makes the baby realllllllly hungry, as it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Mhh... I never really tried feeding her while she's still in the towel. The towel seems so cold and damp and baby girl seems too panicky to be able to eat calmly. But I love how blissful she looks when she finally gets to eat under a warm blanket with my body heat warming her up.

    ReplyDelete