Monday, May 10, 2010

Birthday!!!

It's Siiri's first birthday and I'm sick. I'm suffering from involuntary-bulimia-induced-voluntary-anorexia. In other words, no point in eating anything because it won't stay down anyway. Siiri's also sick, but she was the first to get infected and she seems to be the first one to recover. Erkki is worse off than me because he's a guy. Is it just me or are men just really sensitive to being ill. Oh wait, I think I've read something about it somewhere sometime that women handle flu better than men.

This time even I am so ill that I spend hours during the day just sleeping and I just can't get up. Me and Erkki take turns trying to stay awake and babysit while Siiri is actively crawling around and playing. She hasn't made a full recovery - her appetite is still low and she's making long naps during the day but at least she's not completely apathic like she was a couple of days ago. Siiri really is sweet though. I was lying in bed and Siiri crawled to me, spent ten minutes playing with stuff in my bedside drawer, then took a paper tissue, ripped it in tiny-tiny pieces, stood up and started offering the pieces to me one by one. When I put them on the bedside table, she just picked them up and offered them to me one-by-one again as if was her gift from her to me so I would feel better. Besides, she's been doing her version of hugging a lot in the last couple of days. She comes and rests her head on my arm or my chest. It always makes me smile. It's very therapeutic.

Anyway, Siiri' first birthday is kind of ruined since me and Erkki haven't been that sick in years or maybe even NEVER. I even had a plan of making Siiri a fluffy pink cake. I would have dyed whipped cream with home made beetroot juice and I was even planning to light one candle in the center of the cake. I had a recipe that was baby-safe and I think Siiri would have enjoyed it. We still gave her her first birthday present which was a picture dictionary. It's small, a little bigger than pocket book format, it has lots of picutres and I think it might be useful when she's starting to expand on her vocabulary. Before that, it's just pretty to look at. Quite lame, right? A BOOK! Well, Siiri likes books and she deserved a book that she can "read" as much as she wants. She liked it so much she leaned forward and gave it a nice wet lick. She hadn't done this with a real book yet, only with cardboard baby books.

I might be sick but I'm quite busy this week. I have a practical course: 4-hour days in a lab near my home. The first day was quite difficult to endure - it was mostly a lecture while sitting on really uncomfortable lab chairs. I'm hoping I'll feel better tomorrow.

Happy Birthday, Siiri!

No comments:

Post a Comment