Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Internet Trap

Hello, my name is Kristiina and I'm a forum addict!
Lately I have been spending way too much time in a specific family-themed forum (perekool.ee). Whenever I have a spare moment I sit at my computer and see if anyone has posted. It's ridiculous really. Usually I read forums to learn new things from people who know cool stuff. But with this forum I don't even think most of the people there are smart. Or actually, there are many smart stupid people there. Those are the people who are knowledgeable but have a stupid view about the topic. Or they have just got their knowledge from an unreliable source.

One of the common things in that forum: whenever someone complains of a baby crying (before nursing, during nursing, after nursing, in the mornings, noons or evening) it's always because of gas pain. It's the gold answer to all baby problems: every time a baby cries, she has gas pain. Reminds me of "Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings." Mhhh... with the risk of getting awfully sidetracked here, have you ever considered why the angel is a "he". Most angels are female, everyone knows that. Or maybe it's a 1950ies thing. If the movie It's a Wonderful Life had been released in the modern times, would the angel be a "she" to please the feminist viewers? And I suppose that before the bell rings the angel would be aerodynamically challenged.

That family-themed forum rarely has new information in it. And if there's something I haven't heard elsewhere I get very suspicious of the quality of this information. I think I read this forum more for the gossip than for information. Like there was this woman who was unexpectedly pregnant but her husband had said he doesn't want a third child. The family isn't wealthy, so now she was contemplating abortion. I am pro-choice in theory but since she was already asking for advice she was clearly having doubts about the abortion so in my opinion she should have the kid. Surprisingly, many people were supporting the abortion plan, which made me realize how harshly realistic Estonians really are. Somehow it was pleasant to see that Estonians don't have a strong happy humane view about abortion. The next day she posted that she talked it over with her husband and they are having this baby. Yay for the baby... There's never this kind of real time reality soap on TV.

Oddly, I trust my doctor about as much as an average forum post there. I was in the doctor's office again last Friday and I asked about the red spots on baby's face and neck. I figured it was just a reaction from milk spit-up on her delicate skin but decided to ask just in case. The doctor looked at it and said, "It's probably an allergy. What do you eat?", I said I eat everything that I normally would eat. She got more specific, "Do you eat chocolate?" -"yes" -"Stop eating that. Do you eat strawberries?" -"Yes" -"Stop eating those.". I decided to lie to her and nodded. I didn't want to argue with her but I think my baby isn't allergic to either. I think it's odd she didn't ask, "do you eat broccoli? Do you eat carrots?". Maybe my kid is allergic to healthy stuff or any other one of the hundreds of possible foods that might cause allergy. I see no reason for her to pinpoint tasty chocolate and strawberries. Besides, the doctor chose not to comment why my kid got this strawberry/chocolate allergy ONLY in the areas where skin has contact with milk spit-up. Advertising such superstitions to new mothers makes her as smart stupid as an average forum poster.

I know it's not New Year but it's time to make a New Year's resolution to stop wasting my time in that forum. I should spend my time in much better ways like watching TV, playing Sims 3, and writing blog posts more often.

Baby Update: At her 2-month visit she was 5770g (gained 1050g) and 58cm (grew 4cm). The nurse said she looks like a completely different baby - lively and energetic. In hindsight, during my previous visit, the baby was unusually tired, grumpy and uncooperative, which is why the nurse immediately thought this case needs extra attention and was eager to find the cause for the baby being so uncommunicative. Although this time baby refused to lift her head in stomach position she still got much more positive feedback from the nurse and the doctor.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I know how that forum is addicting. I used to read it a lot few years ago. It was a true reality show with a wonderful display of the rainbow of housewives and their issues. I loved the family topics mostly. Like long discussions about how to make sure that your husband isn't cheating on you or what to do with that awfully annoying child (!) from your husbands first marriage etc. Mostly I think it's a very educating place to approach with caution and sober thinking to see firsthand what being alone at home with children can do with ones psyche.

    I doubt your kid has allergies, those tend to show up on other places as well, not only places where milk touches :P Allergies with babies usually appear on the face (cheeks mostly) and neck. Also, rushing ahead to the winter, if she gets bloodred dry cheeks during the winter and skin starts peeling off, it's not an allergy, it's because of the cold. Zinc works wonders with it.

    Yay for bigger baby! She's growing like a maniac hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, yes, some of that forum is pretty horrible. Very entertainig though. Fortunately the topcis are starting to repeat themselves and I might get tired of it soon. I think I've seen 3 threads with someone asking if it's ok to eat watermelons. :D

    Milk actually touches only cheeks and neck which is probably why it looked like an allergy. :) Just that allergies don't clear out with washing. Now I wipe baby's cheeks and neck with a wet hand once a day. During bath it's easy to overlook that area because I never dipped her face in water. She absolutely loves having her face washed and she'll try anything to get a taste of that fresh water. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete