Monday, August 31, 2009

Watermug

Have you ever tried to drink 3 liter of water in a day? And did you succeed? If the answer is "Yes" then you must be made of sponge.

I've never really liked to drink water. Like come on - it's not sweet or anything! I hate pure water so much that a few years ago, when I started to follow a diet created by a nutrition expert, I seriously asked him, "Can I add 50% of fruit juice to my water?". Seems quite ridiculous now. Back then, when I was seriously thirsty on a hot summer noon and I took a glass of water, I was only able to drink half of it at most. Plain water just tasted absolutely disgusting. It is supposed to have no taste but I just couldn't drink it.

Just as a dietary goal I started to force myself to drink water. After a while I had a breakthrough. I was thirsty all the time. I had a bottle of water beside me during lectures because otherwise my throat would get so dry I couldn't concentrate anymore. Actually I never was good at concentrating. I have to write down random phrases from the lecture just to keep myself from thinking, "I wonder why blackboards are green. Why do they call them blackboards anyway? When I had to wash the blackboard in school it never was as clean as this one. I wonder how they cleaned it...". Once I manage to pull myself away from ten ways to clean a blackboard, I suddenly realize I've missed much of the lecture. But without my water I was only able to think about how horribly thirsty I felt. Mhh, if you're reading this blog then you already know that my mind has a tendency to get side-tracked ever so often.

I still don't like water, I just need to drink it. When I don't force myself I only drink about a liter of water each day. That would be a nice amount if I wasn't breastfeeding but now I'm supposed to drink 3 liters of water daily. Even after years or training myself to drink water three liters is still an enormous amount of water. For a while I wrote down how much water I've drank just to remind myself to drink very often. Usually I had about 1.5 liters and then I goggled down another half a liter just before I went to bed. Drinking before bedtime - ingenious, isn't it?

I think I've managed to drink 3 liters only once or twice in the last few months. I truly felt like a water balloon. I hadn't realized 3 liters is such a big amount. When you're thirsty you probably drink about half a glass of water like most people just to wet your mouth. Imagine doing that 30 times each day! 3 liters is 15 glasses of water. That's one glass for every hour spent awake. When I started I thought it only takes a few seconds to drink that glass of water and there are sooooooo many seconds in each hour. It can't be too hard to drink enough water. And still I often realize in the afternoon that I've drank less than half a liter of water. It just takes so much effort to fill my glass so often during the day.

Okey, truthfully, it doesn't HAVE TO be water. I like drinking root beer, so perhaps I could just drink that in stead. 100g of root beer has 30 calories, which means 3 liters of root beer has 900 kcal, which is almost half of my daily recommended calorie intake. I'd rather drink water and eat that much chocolate.

Now I have a new confidence that I will be able to drink more water. Today I bought new 500ml beer mugs with a measure mark. It's brilliant. I just have to drink 2 mugs of water every morning, afternoon and evening. How hard can it be, right?

2 comments:

  1. Bbbbbbut... why on earth THREE litres?
    Isn't it individual? For some, I guess, three litres can be already harmful to health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And why on earth pure water? Why not tea or coffee or soup or cucumber or juice or combination of all those things?

    ReplyDelete