Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pubbing and Clubbing

To be honest I'm still quite paranoid about there ever being a childbirth. It's been 24 weeks but I still call it an "it", "baby", "thing in my belly", etc. We know it's a girl and we know we'll probably call our daughter Siiri, but I don't think either of us - me or Erkki - has ever called her by her name. We also haven't bought baby clothing, toys or anything. We haven't even started looking for the baby bed or a baby carriage. We'll have to start with that eventually, just not yet. There's still time.

Actually I'm still resistant to the thought that I would have to change much to make room for a baby. Instead I came up with an idea - I think I want to party some more! Partying is fun and makes me feel like I'm young and I actually have an active social life. I want to go pubbing (and drinking) and clubbing (and dancing until I'm so dehydrated that water tastes like the best elixir of health!).

I guess I could go pubbing with non-alcoholic beers. It's quite the same as with alcohol because the last couple of years I usually had no more than three drinks. It took a long evening to drink that "much" and I only got a subtle relaxing buzz from it. The only problem with non-alcoholic beer is that I don't even like regular beer that much. I'd order alcoholic strawberry cider or perhaps a mojito!

I do miss cocktails. All those pretty colorful drinks in interesting glasses with a decorative umbrella in a slice of orange and an obligatory cherry at the bottom of the glass. There's mocktails - cocktails without alcohol - but that's a pleasure only when drinking at home, as no one actually serves them in pubs! Mojito mocktail is the only pregnant-friendly drink I've seen served aside from juice, water, coffee, tea and non-alcoholic beer.

Actually even coffee isn't pregnant-friendly as caffeine causes miscarriages in high doses. I still gladly have my one coffee per day and the occasional Coca Cola. Mmmmmm... My morning coffee is soooo good lately. I started to dislike regular cappuccino and latte for being too strong so I came up with a new recipe.

Best coffee ever: 300 ml of milk warmed up in microwave oven, 1 tablespoon of honey and one espresso. Really tasty.

But back to the pubs. If I don't want to drink any of the typical boring kid-menu drinks I end up staring at the menu for a while and ordering a water... and ordering it with a very bland monotonous voice while thinking, "jeez, isn't that a great start for a fun evening.". Pubs are defined as "establishments serving beer and sometimes other alcoholic beverages for consumption on premise." Without the consumption of alcohol, is a pub really worth visiting?

At least nightclubs are also for dancing. Sadly, non of my club-clothing fit me anymore. I really do want to go out dancing but I'm pretty sure I'd feel really weird there. I once saw a pregnant woman in a club. Me and my friend looked at her knowing it shouldn't make a difference that she's pregnant, but we still stared a little and discussed if she even feels comfortable in a club with a 6-7 months pregnant belly. I still kinda want to go to a nightclub but I'm pretty sure I won't make it there any time soon. I'll make endless excuses not to be the pregnant woman in a nightclub.

Maybe I want to go pubbing and clubbing only because I want to hold on to the life I had before pregnancy. I think I really like pubs and night clubs but I also see that those places are not meant for pregnant women. Now I understand why people usually stop going out partying after they have kids except for house-parties at a friend's place. I'm entirely not sure why I want to go out partying. I just know it's on my to-do list if I ever want to avoid growing up and settling down in a stagnated nice life of friendly house parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment