Friday, January 2, 2009

"It will be so hard!"

There's something that has been bugging me for a while now, since the first moment I started telling people I'm pregnant. Well, in theory, when you're doing something new, it always helps to have someone nearby helping you figure out how it's gonna be. Or is it really?

I have encountered many situations where people with kids do their very best to tell me, and then remind me over and over again, that having kids is horribly awfully terribly difficult. Thanks a bunch. I naively told my colleague that I'm pregnant and had a conversation with him about parenting because I knew he has 2 kids. Surprisingly, he let out a malicious laugh and told me, "Kids want a lot of attention and they don't let you sleep at night." He then proceeded to tell me about kids getting ill, now expensive kids are, etc. Suddenly someone called me, "congratulations on the pregnancy! By the way, start looking for a babysitter now because those are really hard to find!". I found it odd being 5 weeks pregnant and still shaky from the positive test result.

Did it end there? I wish. I talked with a non parent friend looking for a more positive response and told him about my pregnancy. He said, "Good luck. Kids make such a mess! And I hope you like changing diapers!". Actually I don't, but thanks for reminding me. Another non-parent encouraged me, "You're pregnant? Such good news! Although you'll never sleep again!". The quotes go on and on. People with kids love telling me how hard parenting really is and people without kids get freaked just by the thought of having kids so they try to warn others.

Reason I'm talking about it. This blog post is partly dedicated to my older sister who has two sons. Hi sis! She dedicated a section in a blog post to me - the section describing hoe her kids just wouldn't fall asleep all night. One kept yelling and running around, the other persisted that he wanted to sleep in some other room. Of all things to dedicate to a pregnant woman, she and her husband chose this. Does it surprise me? No, not at all. Apparently every pregnant woman has to accept the mindset that kids are a horrible pain in the ass.

The point is that people with children love to show that parenting is really hard - no non-parent would ever understand how hard it is. If the parent makes mistakes it's OK because parenting is such a difficult task altogether and if the parent succeeds, they have done something really amazing. Parents all around me are happy to hear that someone else is joining their terrible hardship and the first dialogue about it always contains a warning or two. I think they actually want young mothers to fail a little during the first month, so the young mother can come asking for advice, "Oh great master, you are so wise and you have raised such wonderful children. I'm so tired and it's so hard! How did you succeed so wonderfully, teach me!". But the point is that everyone fails a little during their first month so young confused mothers just suck up all that negativity - "they warned that it will be difficult and it really is".

I've noticed the tendency that whenever I ask about parenting in general, people tell me how hard it is. It hope that noticing it is half the victory already because now I can try to block it out. Yet, although I'm used to it, it kinda makes me angry. Just think of the consequences of this. Why should people start parenting with the notion that it will be hard and they will never sleep and there will be icky goo everywhere, no money, no babysitters, no free time. If I took them seriously, would I even want to have a kid? Ever?

I really like comparisons and examples. Lets say I want to take up football and I talk with my football-playing friend, "I'm taking up football, tell me about the game!" and they reply, "Oh it's really difficult. You'll have to run all the time and then sometimes it starts raining during the game and you get all wet and cold, and then there's mud on the field and you get all dirty. One time the ball hit my jaw so that it hurt to chew for a week.". You listen to the reply, go home and put up an advertisement: Football Shoes for Sale. And now I ask a rhetorical question - Why do you think abortion rate is so high? Could it have anything to do with the perception that kids equals sleepless nights, diapers, yelling, crying, expenses and other kind of hardship?

But people don't say they regret having children, so there must be something they're not telling us and I think I know what that is - the big parent's secret is that kids are actually fun to have around. Kids are like the perfect addition in life, something that never gets old (although they literally do get old eventually). They're full of ideas and fresh thoughts and they're always more important than a pet or gym classes or video games or music CDs or whatever. People would be sad to lose a pet but devastated to lose a child. But why?! Child costs more! And usually makes more of a mess! And takes years to potty-train. And makes more noise. Actually, if there was a dog even half as horrible as kids are said to be, it would be put to sleep no questions asked.

Moral of today's post - Parenting people, stop telling people how hard parenting is! It's bullshit and you know it! Tell people how the child is more important than any pet you've ever had and gives more joy than any music concert or video game ever could!

And some brighter news - I had my second ultrasound. It's a girl, looks as healthy as she possibly could and has actually grown one week ahead of her time. Size is 22 weeks in stead of 21 weeks. She seems to have my husband's nose - sharp prominent nose - and my chin. Slept through half the thing but then woke up to move a little. Technician said her hand movement looks very graceful. I wouldn't be able to tell with a wobbling thing in a confined space. I think she looked kinda cute and I just loved the dazed grin on my husband's face. He's gonna adore the child.

8 comments:

  1. Wellwell.

    I happened to read this post just today (= after posting the comments to the previous post).

    Had I known you took it so hard I hadn't posted these previous comments. To be honest, it was more like bantering from my side, I didn't think that I had crossed the line. And Siim - well, you know him. :)

    My goal was more to prepare you for the possible hardships. I know someone who had it all planned ahead: how she will continue to study at the Uni (in another town, two-three days in a row), will carry on with her business plans, the baby will be asleep all the time etc. Now that the baby is born, she is a bit schocked at all the leisure time she was supposed to have but has not at all. I wouldn't want that to happen to you - for me, it is easier to be prepared for the worst beforehand.

    But it seems that you have been warned more than it is good for you and you are already more than aware of the possible negative effects. (and of course there are those people who need to know the negative effects so that they can be positively surprised, and those who need to know only the positive so that they don't start expecting and thus producing the negative ones)

    So I shall assure you that of course there are many positive sides to having children! Just that the life in its entirety is more like a roller coaster ride than it used to be. With all the ups and downs. The previous life seems to be just a quiet stroll along the seaside. :P

    Well, to sum up. The first couple of years after the child is born are both the toughest and the sweetest. Too bad that it is easier to share the tough moments than the lovely moments. Perhaps it is something in Estonians' nature? Sharing good things is often (subconsciously) considered to be hokey (imal, lääge) and bringing bad luck. Most of these wonderful moments cannot even be described - how can you describe the feeling you have when you watch the baby sleep, holding a blanket or your finger really close? Just awwww. Or the moment that the baby smiles for the first time, crawls his/her first centimeters, stands up, makes the first step or says the first "emme"? To put these feelings in words kind of downplays or depreciates them (I have rarely read good enough descriptions, so I won't even try), so it is not usually done. You can read them between lines, that is all.

    So please don't be mad at us for trying to spoil your pregnancy, because that certainly was not the intent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you had something very insightful here, "there are those people who need to know the negative effects so that they can be positively surprised, and those who need to know only the positive so that they don't start expecting and thus producing the negative ones". I definitely need to be as positive as possible before I start doing something. I have a tendency to assume the negative anyway, so I need to put in effort to think of the positive first.

    And it wasn't that I was angry at you. This is a topic that I has been a pet peeve for a while now. I've ranted about it online a couple of months ago and your blog post just made me think it through again. I decided it was worth sharing to warn other people. This way they wouldn't take all the negative too seriously. It could be a socionics thing as well. (Almost) all the people I quoted for the memorable negative future remarks were delta quadra people and I'm the opposite quadra.

    And I didn't think you were trying to spoil my pregnancy. I did think that people thought they were being helpful with such comments but the effect was reversed. I don't even watch movie-child births anymore because I want to forget the perception that birth is so horribly tortorously painful that the woman always has to yell her lungs out in despair. I think the woman is actually so doped up with the natural hormones that she doesn't really think about the physical discomfort so much. (PS! don't tell me what child birth really feels like. I like my current illusions). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if you google natural childbirth sites, you will probably find many descriptions of childbirth as an orgastic experience ;)

    But you are right in that if you know mostly bad/uncomfortable aspects of giving birth then you start to expect the uncomfortable emotions, cramp up and then it will really be uncomfortable. If you are relaxed etc, it will be much easier.

    How about childbirth yoga classes? Perhaps there still are such at Jakobi street...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.emadekool.ee/

    I have heard nice stories about this course for pregnant women.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris, wanna join me in search for some pregnancy yoga or exercises?

    And yes, parenting is fund beyond the awwwww experiences. It is a lot of laughing, a lot of cuddling, a lot of learning and growing as a human being.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pille, sounds very good, yes! :D
    I used to go to aerobics twice a week and then pregnancy exercises in Avancia. It was really close to my home. Now I was away for a few weeks and Avanvcia changed its name and moved to Eeden. I have to find something new a.s.a.p.

    I don't want to do water sports because I don't like soaking in water and being all wet and cold afterwards. Most pregnancy exercising is in water. I'm mostly looking for something that would boost my heart rate a little with pregnancy-safe exercises so I won't get too comfortable and sedentary during pregnancy.

    You should add me to messenger or Skype or just send me an email. As I understand, Katrin can give you the address.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As for reasons to have kids, you're forgetting about the biological imperative. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) I don't want to be a failure in the eyes of Darwin! :D I want enough kids to ensure that the family is continued. ...Although I come from a family with 8 kids, all biological siblings. If they have altogether 8 kids, all my genes (on average) will be taken to the next generation just like if I have 2 kids. :) But for some reason that's not quite as satisfying.

    ReplyDelete