Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Rantomaniac

It seems the baby is a devoted reader of my blog. Yet I wouldn't call her a fan because she tries her best to prove me wrong. Some time ago I wrote that she never really moves. The next day she spent a lot of time moving around. Then she got all calm and boring again and on Sunday I wrote about how little she moves.

Ever since my last post my baby has been doing her best to show me what she's capable of. Not only does she kick and bunch, she actually headbutts me from the inside! Yes, you understood me right. She finds support with her tiny feet and then uses all her strength to straighten herself out and hit my tummy with her little head. She did that about 20 times looking for better positions for it. No worries, it doesn't hurt a bit. I find myself being proud of her when she gives a good kick, bunch or headbutt. It's actually really surprising how strong she has gotten so quickly.

I was wondering - isn't it about time winter ended?! I mean, it's already the second half of February! How much longer can the snow last?! My winter jacket is already at it's last limit. Pretty soon the zipper won't close anymore. I was hoping I have more than enough room to spare in that huge jacket but seems I was wrong.

And daylight saving time. I'm so not looking forward to that one! So finally sun is shining at the right times - when I wake up it's barely light outside and when I come home from the lab it's often still light outside. Now some idiot jerks are going to turn the clock so that when people wake up one hour of perfectly good light has already been lost and when they get home from work it's already grim and dark outside! I really don't get how it's daylight saving time! I would call it daylight mindless wasting time.

Mhhh, should I talk about driving school or not... Mhhhh... Probably not! Or at least only briefly because I'm better off not thinking about it at all. I had a horrible lesson last time and I ended up being so unsure of my skills that I was unable to drive faster than 35km/h in the city. At times it was even less - all with the addition of an annoyed driving teacher and me doing my best to block out his comments completely. Well, he suggested I postpone driving school until after I am no longer pregnant because apparently I'm too careful behind the wheel. I said it's not a pregnancy thing and we had a long conversation about how constant critique makes me extremely tense and practically unable to drive. So tomorrow we'll try something else - he will write down all the mistakes I make so I can try to drive without demotivating interruptions. But now even the thought about actually driving a car makes me so nervous that I'm very tempted to cancel the lesson altogether. Ah, I just have to stop thinking about it. I'll show up tomorrow and I'll try to relax and imagine it's a fun video game. If that doesn't work I might actually take a longer pause from driving school.

My article is coming along so slowly that the chances of finishing it in time are close to hopeless. Oh well, could be worse. At least I have some data that I don't have to redo!

I wonder if I should reconsider and take a semester of academic relief next year. Currently I'm planning to stay officially enlisted. It won't change much for me because I would be able to take a few classes in the second semester. They only count points once a year and I know I would be able to meet the requirements if I take some classes on the second semester after the baby is already 8 months old. But maybe it would be better if I just do the paperwork and officially take time off for peace of mind. Mhhh... but if I don't take time off I will get money and that also offers peace of mind... I wouldn't be in this situation if PhD national scholarship offered any maternal security. Grrrrr... There are definitely some government officials who deserve a nice little decapitation!

I had an early class today so I woke up at 6:40 a.m. and I totally feel it. My behavior is like always but my thoughts are way more negative. I've known for a while that I'm very dependant on sleep but it still astonishes me how much a couple of hours of extra sleep change my entire perception of the world. This is a good time to finish up this blog post before I find anything else to rant about!

5 comments:

  1. But hey! -why didn't you talk about the funny coincidences that take place in these early mornings? For instance - going to class and seeing your sister at 8 am standing on a street corner talking to her former thesis supervisor? :P I thought it was kinda funny - just the randomness of it all.

    And I hear ya on the lack of sleep= "the world sucks and I wish everyone would just leave me alone" issue. I have had enough sleep, but after one really busy week everything seems to get to me soooo much easier. Hence the "I wish everyone would leave me alone" part :P But it's only natural - one day is worse and another is better :)

    Oh, and congrats on the baby starting to move! It really seems your little one is doing its best to get out. You haven't, by any chance, been watching any Alien movies lately? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I heard about the incident with the Alien toy and Kati's kid screaming 1-hour straight just from one look. lol

    And it really was odd seeing you at such an odd time. But I have to admit that running into you when I walk past your house isn't really such a far-fetched coincidence. ;)

    Haven't been watching Alien movies. But if I thought the kid is gonna imitate a movie character I would mostly make sure not to see any Omen movies in the near future...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmpf, I _never_ run into Anneli when walking past her house, and believe me, I do it quite a lot. Soooo unfair!

    (was it really an entire hour? :o )

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was not an entire hour :D 10-15 minutes maybe... but very loud at that :P But it was funny - seeing the Alien-head and just beginning to scream.. LOL. ANd Lauri was being so brave about it. He touched it and everything (albeit in a very timid fashion).

    And Kati - I'll do my best to accidentally run into you someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol. Fun how gossip enhances stuff. Erkki is convinced he told me it was 10 min but I'm sure he said it was an hour. :D Maybe he said (quarter)HOUR and I just didn't hear the first part and we're both right. :D

    ReplyDelete